Monday, June 19, 2006

Preserving my senses

The house is now completely filled with boxes and chaos. The movers arrive in the morning to cart away most of our possessions, but we stay on for a few more precious days to try to restore the house to some approximation of what we found when we arrived here. This makes the daily struggle to capture in words some of the things that this year has meant to me a bit more difficult to manage. We feel the urgency of the emails from employers, co-workers, and friends increase, as they look forward to our return and (in some cases) try to think of ways to help us re-assimilate. Again, I think of Star Trek. This time of Borg. I also feel sadness both for us -- it will be a struggle to hang onto everything we've learned, decided, and understood about how we want to live out our lives -- and for them -- we fear that their eager anticipation of us may be blunted when they see that we're not the same family who left town a year ago.

What has changed? My senses have heightened. I hear, feel, smell and taste more than at any other time in my life. What's more, I find it easier to reach the connections between sensations. I'll struggle if I try to explain this. It will take more work than I have time for today. Let me try to put it this way: how does one characterize an average day of life? We wake in the morning with a certain set of scripts -- the routines that sustain us. We groom ourselves, we eat and drink, care for our bodies in whatever ways they need to be nurtured, or at least sustained. We also have a certain set of plans -- goals that need to be achieved, even such minor things as shopping for groceries, finishing a task for our jobs, making contact with a family member, helping our children. For the most part, as our day unfolds, we are mostly only open to the sensations that are relevant to the work that needs to be done. When we consider ourselves to be working well, our focus is like a tightly focused beam on the tasks at hand. We are closed to the unexpected.

Though there is still much of that kind of pattern in my life, I feel as though I have many more moments when I'm open to the world. Subtleties that, a year ago, would have evaded my notice completely, can catch me by the throat somehow and overwhelm me completely. The hue of a cluster of leaves, the sound of bird call, the sensation of the wind on my skin. Not only do I notice these kinds of sensations, but their impact on me is much greater than at any other time I can remember. I find myself immobilized by the power of a sensation. I can be transfixed by a potent combination of sensory impressions to the extent that I simply can't carry on with whatever script I'm in the middle of. It is the most glorious feeling. I'd like to say that it's a kind of mindfulness, and perhaps it is, but I know that I'm also very attached to the state. But though I may not be a very good Buddhist, I have some conviction that this way of relating to the world is much healthier than my previous state of task-oriented, laser beam focused behaviour in which I took from the world only what I needed and discarded what I thought was superfluous. If I were to try to sum all of this up in just a few words, I might say that I now have the patience and unfocused regard to allow me to take what the world offers, rather than to lean into it, take control of it, and wrest from it what I think I might need. A long time ago, I was accused (in print, no less!) of treating nature as though it were some kind of grand smorgasbord from which I could feast on what I needed and discard the rest. I was incensed to the point of apoplexy when the accusing finger was raised, though, looking back, I see now that I was guilty as charged.

When I throw myself back into a busy urban setting with many more work responsibilities, detachment from natural settings, and all of the old habits and patterns waiting to eat my soul, will I be able to hold on to this hard won territory? I'm filled with resolve, but fear and doubt gnaw at me as well. It will be the battle of my life.

2 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

Colin...your words here hit home so strongly, that I was near tears. Last year we were abruptly forced to leave our home of 6 years. We had found another apt. but had nowhere to go for the two weeks before it became available. I don't know why, but I rented a cabin in Door County Wisconsin and drove the boyfriend and the Golden Recliner (Retriever) there in the middle of the night.

We woke to a beautiful sunrise in near solitude. For two weeks we listened to the wolf pack, stood by the water, watched the stars wheel by and had many meetings with various flora and fauna. I changed so much my boyfriend was startled- but no less startled than in the change within himself.

Leaving there was a wrenching experience for both of us. I sat on the tiny porch of the apartment we rented-just shell shocked. As the weeks passed I could feel the lessons I had learned retreating and it left a void within me- like the tide retreating from the sand you stand on- you can feel the coolness from where it was, but you can't feel the water itself.

Over a year later, what is left is a yearning and a sadness. Of course there are still good things here, but such a profound realization of where you NEED to be makes going back to your old scripts on your old stage (to use some of your thoughts) seem pointless.

And you're right about friends and co-workers; ours were confused by how we had changed. A friend of mine (John in my blog) still looks puzzled sometimes when I speak of moving up there as soon as we can.

I wish the best for you and your family but I have a feeling you'll all be fine. You and yours discovered a new way to be- and whether you make it back or not- the love all of you share for each other will help make the lessons stick.

Thank you for your blogs...they make me think.

Robin

9:35 PM  
Blogger Colin said...

Robin,

Thanks so much for this beautiful comment. I resonate with so much of what you say here and in your blog as well. Your ability to notice and cherish the natural in the most blighted of urban settings inspires me. There are worlds teeming inside every crack in the pavement, aren't there? Remembering that can help you to feel less cut off in the city, I think. I'm trying to cultivate the skills to see those worlds.

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home