Wednesday, August 02, 2006

It's another crazy weather day

We're surrounded by cloud walls as the big chunk of hot, moist air around here does its best to make some twisters that might pound a little sense into us.

I've tried my best today to turn my thoughts away from the mess of the world and into one of the courses I'm teaching in the fall...acting as though nothing is wrong and this will all blow over and I'll be able to just go on showing pictures of the parts of the eye until I toddle off to my nice little hobby farm in Nova Scotia when I'm 83.

Not so much luck with that.

The thing is....if it's true that we have everything we need to change course and prevent climate catastrophe, then all we're lacking is, what? Will? Foresight? Connection? As much as we need to engineer carbon sequestration, we need to engineer new ways to think about this stuff. So sad to think that it will more likely be our nature and not our inability to invent new technologies that will ultimately burn our asses off this planet.

I'd like to stop thinking about all of this, even for a few days, but how does one do that and also kiss one's children goodnight and actually mean it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home