Monday, May 28, 2007

plodding along

I somehow managed to pull 2300 words out of somewhere -- perhaps it helps when you can't see what you're writing. Seriously, though, I can feel myself plodding through the material that I know well, that I will have no problems pushing into shape at the last minute, in order to get to the stuff that I really want to get to. In spite of all of this, I managed a blurry pre-read of the first draft of what's coming up and realized I know even less than I thought that I did. One thin and meandering chapter has to become two meaty chapters that will be part of why anyone would ever want to read this book in the first place.

On the positive side, I finished the day with some interesting reading about animal architecture. Whenever I feel as though my own research is a little on the edge, I delight in finding someone who absorbs all consciousness in something much more arcane. Do you know, for example, how a leaf-rolling weevil decides that the leaf it occupies is the right size to roll? I'll leave you in suspense (buy the book....). Do you know which bird trains for years to build spectacularly beautiful houses whose sole function is to lure females down boldly painted 'avenues' to Sin City? I do.

Now I'll finish the day with a good cup of French press, a stroll into Uptown with my beloved, and a film that I suspect will make us both cry. Ahh, springtime.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home