Thursday, April 19, 2007

Grading and facebook

It's once again that time of year when blood starts shooting from my eyeballs as I grind through another set of term papers. It hasn't been a good teaching term for me. Too much of the time, my thoughts have been outside the classroom walls. At several crucial moments, my mind has been pulled out of the room. The course that is normally my favourite one to teach turned into pure drudgery -- it needs a complete overhaul. These are the sad thoughts that preoccupy me as I try to find of a hundred different ways to say 'I know you could have done better, but I understand how small a part of your life this paper was....' All of these feelings have been reinforced this term by my recent, very timid, entry into the world of Facebook. This is an online social network that is most popular with high school and university students. As I browse through profiles, I notice that I am the oldest member I've found so far. Interestingly, it is a world populated by many of my students. I look them up to see what they've been doing while they've been claiming to be too busy to turn in assignments on time. There's a thundering amount of drinking going on. There's also, from time to time, a nasty comment about me, my teaching style, my course. My ego is small enough that this doesn't hurt, but it's far more useful than any course evaluation has ever been -- I've already figured out what the structural problems are in the course I've just finished, and I really don't mind all the little epithets.

On Facebook itself, I won't even try to add to the din. It's obviously a dangerous thing for many. Imagine writing email to friends, but allowing anybody who stumbles along to read the mail. Interestingly, you can make conversations private, but most people seem to choose not to. It's like overhearing interesting gossip in an elevator, but the elevator is globe-sized. It strikes me as one more step along the long road to our not really being anywhere, but that's a post for another day. At present, my brain is slowly turning to a mound of soft cheese curds as I peruse the limpid prose of a group of students who, with a few nice exceptions, would rather have been anywhere else than in my class this past semester.

2 Comments:

Blogger noisysmile said...

Hi, I'm a fellow blogger. Pepper is my mom and Robin is my mom's cousin. I found your blog through Robin. I am a college student and sadly enough I am guilty of caring too little about papers sometimes. I have an itty bitty suggestion for you. When I write the first paper for a class I am either encouraged or discouraged, depending on the teacher's response. I love to see suggestions, praise and helpful hints in the margins of the paper. As an inferior speck in a class of well over 30, sometimes a tiny bit of insight can make me feel like I have been noticed and that my work is important, whether or not it needs improvement. If my first paper is speckled in a little bit of color it makes me want to push for a better paper the second time around. It’s like a one on one conversation that a student has with the professor that is personal, private and engaging. I must say that I am only guilty of carelessness when there is little or no intimacy between the Professor and I. In a world that is slowly shirking away from intimacy one can only be surprised and flattered by a little acknowledgement.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Colin said...

Hi Hannahjane,

Thanks for the input. I do try to give lots of feedback on written material and it's nice to hear from a student like you how much that is appreciated. PS - I'm afraid of geese too!

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home