Monday, February 11, 2008

pointing me towards home

So sad to be reading the story of a little girl who disappeared from the parking lot of a shopping centre in Bridgewater, Nova Scotia. This was the same parking lot, the same shopping centre, where I spent many a frigid Friday night laying in supplies for a weekend of fun in LaHave. One of the oddest memories of the place was the night in 2006 I was wandering the centre (the only one within a couple of hours drive of my village) when I was paged overhead by security and asked to return to my car. When I got there, two uniformed guards told me they'd seen teenagers lingering over the doors, acting "suspiciously" and so they thought I might have left a door unlocked.

Now, police have found the body of a young woman, buried in the snow, halfway down the highway between the shopping centre and the old oceanside house where we used to live. They're not saying it was the girl who disappeared, but it's hard to think otherwise. Also hard not to think foul play given the time spent beating the woods with dogs and diving in the nearby river.

It's horrible to even think about any of this. My own daughter, the same age as the girl who went missing blanched when she found out the news, only unclenching her fists when she heard the name and realized it was not a dear friend of hers who had lived nearby and whose father, like the missing girl's had lived in Halifax.

Most telling of all for me was that my immediate reaction was a huge wave of homesickness for the place. I spent a couple of hours afterwards scanning through realty listings, trying to imagine how we could move back. The events of the past couple of weeks have felt like an assault on something sacred to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home