Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Post-Earth Day

I really wanted to write something upbeat and encouraging about Earth Day. Then, on the walk to work this morning, I went through Waterloo Park, our own little city oasis of greenspace. Thanks to a spectacular weather weekend, the citizenry had made wonderful use of the space. 21 empty plastic water bottles, five hugely overflowing garbage cans filled with plastic bags, Big Mac cartons, huge stacks of stuff that even the squirrels didn't want (and believe me, the squirrels want everything). Why does a visit to the park have to consist of sitting down and eating an enormous amount of really shitty fast food? The Canada geese who are usually strutting around scaring the locals at this time of year, as breeding season approaches, were just sitting glumly by the side of the creek, surveying the carnage. The ducks didn't even bother moving off the path as I walked past them.

Sad, sad, sad. I walked into my lab, grumbling to my assistant that I'd lost all faith in humanity. When I explained, she expressed surprise that 'they' hadn't come to clean everything up. We're still waiting for 'they'. I don't think they're coming.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home