Monday, April 14, 2008

Dreaming

Suddenly, after a drought extending for years, I find that I'm dreaming again. They're not long or consequential dreams, but they have some narrative content, suggesting I may be getting some REM sleep finally. Last night my dream woke me up amid gales of laughter. I was working with some unidentified friend on a kind of assembly line, very much like the Mouse Trap game I used to play as a child. Near the beginning of the line, I had to add a bucket of water to a system. At the very end of it, I got the water back. Somehow, the idea that the end result of all of the fascinating machinations was the very same thing that I had started with was so amusing to my friend and I that we doubled over with crippling mirth.

My mood has been up and down otherwise. I have a talk to give at the end of the week which is making me anxious because it's in front of a very unusual audience. My hunch has been that most of them will wonder why I'm there -- while they're mostly mucking in the trenches trying to find a way to help the local dispossessed hold body and soul together, I'll be talking about how we can use gear that cost enough to keep a soup kitchen running for a couple of years to understand how we react emotionally to simulations of FrankLloyd Wright architecture. The organizer says they'll be fascinated. We'll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home