Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Vacation in fantasy land

Well, I'm back from my week of respite in Barbados. Though, truthfully, when your suitcases are packed full of children, respite is a funny word to use. We had lots of illness, pestilence, heat intolerance, prickly rash, teenage hormone surges, and some surprisingly intolerant and unfriendly hosts and hostesses at times. So it wasn't the idyllic 'escape from it all' that the tourist brochures might have promised. On the other hand, that's probably ok. The reason that we chose to go to Barbados as opposed to some other island in the south seas is that our perception was that at least to some extent, in spite of its horrible history in the hands of Europeans, this was an island that actually worked. Most people have some means of holding life and limb together. The gigantic resort operations that move into tropical zones, pave them over, erect huge barbed wire fences around vacation compounds filled with obese tourists looking out furtively through the bars and hoping they will hold up so that the "locals" on the other side, filling their stomach with mud pies (literally) to stave off the pain of starvation can't get in to take back any of the coconuts filled with rum and limeade that they might otherwise covet. Barbados is a long way from perfection. There are far too many cars. Far too much of the food (at least the food we were able to find) comes from somewhere else. At one point, I found myself sitting in front of a bowl of granola consisting of fruit that had been picked locally, shipped to Belgium to be mixed with European grains, and then shipped back to me. I thought I could actually taste the diesel. But for all of its postcolonial ridiculousness, it seems to be a country that stands a chance of surviving the century.

It's telling that now when I find myself in a place away from home, I start trying to assess the resources and future potential of the place. When the shit really hits the fan, which now seems to be happening with a slightly perceptible uptick in pace, how will these people do? The answer in Barbados is that they will do much better than we will. Their climate is year round perfect for avoiding the early devastations of climate change. They haven't had a hurricane since the 50s. They have lots of highlands. The ground is still fertile, though I have to wonder about the legacy of hundreds of years of sugar cane crops. The coral base of much of the island serves as a huge built in water filter. The place is small and the population is fairly low.

I passed some time reading what turned out to be not so restful a book -- Austin Clarke's The Polished Hoe. I thought it a brilliant choice at the time. Clarke and I share an agent so I already knew a bit about his background but when the time came to buy the connected literature for the trip something made me think first of Patrick O'Brian. It was only at the last minute that I remembered that Clarke was not only from the Caribbean but from Barbados itself. The book, though, was achingly sad and fairly brutal and left me wondering how it was that blacks and whites in Barbados were able to live together on the island without killing one another.

I drank vast quantities of Mt Gay Rum. In fact, when it became clear that we would be spending much of our holiday trapped in our "villa" (which, yes, did have an electric gate around it but at least not any barbed wire) I confess that I laid in an ample supply of the stuff and considered it fair holiday behaviour to pour my first rum cocktail some time between 9 and 10 am. This worked reasonably well until about the third day, when I discovered that I had triggered a wicked gout attack--a lifestyle ailment which I richly deserve and which makes it almost impossible for me to walk.

I had some nice interactions with local Bajan down-and-outers. I'm not sure what it says about me that when I travel I always have the best of times hanging out with people who have nothing. There's a certain kind of wisdom that comes from destitution. Maybe it's nothing more complicated than that when you hit bottom there's so much less left for you to try to defend that you enjoy a certain kind of clarity that those puffed up with possessions are lacking.

I don't know.

But now I'm back, slowly injecting myself back into the fray of my usual life, putting thoughts of early retirement that have strayed through my head for the past couple of days into the deep background. The news is filled with ugly portents. At a time of year when we're normally planning the garden and summer vacations, we're now wondering whether we should stock up the pantry with bags of rice and pots of cooking oil. But while all of this is going on, much of our ridiculous way of life continues unabated. We're pouring massive resources into repaving huge highways that will likely never see as much use as they have in the past. We're digging huge holes way outside of town so that we can plonk down more gigantic estate houses on half-acre lots covered with Kentucky bluegrass.

It makes it harder and harder for me to imagine any gentle landing into a state of realism where the truth slowly dawns on us that we're spending the last of our easily-gotten resources in the worst way imaginable. I hate to even think it, but some days it sure feels as though we won't wake up to what's coming until the last bit of potential food has been choked down the gasoline hose into the last SUV that's standing.

1 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

Colin,
Glad you're back in one piece and I may have to steal the 'Shrek Schlump' from you....(imagine a 50 year old woman doing it.... not pretty).

Anyway, onto frightening things, like rice and cooking oil. I'm not the most educated person on the planet when it comes to all things 'hell in handbasket.' Part of that comes from not understanding the complexities, and part from just not wanting to know too well... Not to much- too well, if that makes sense.

Anyway, no one in my 'real' life has much of a thought or interest in what's going on with food, gas, jobs, etc. so I rely on blogging friends. Some of them can be really angry alarmists. You, on the other hand, are well-read, intelligent and world wise, so I pay special attention.

Food prices scare the hell out of me. The other day we went to the 'cheap' grocery and a gallon of cooking oil was 9.00. They are limiting the amount of rice you can buy in some places.

I've read that a lot of this is simply a panic caused by panic, and yet the price of most everything is way up and doesn't seem to be fluctuating. I have started to buy canned goods to store, but not in large quantities. We don't have the room, and I'm not sure there's any point to it.

I remember 9-11 and becoming afraid. Well, who wouldn't. No one had seen anything like it before. But I managed to come to my senses before I went overboard.

The emotional feeling I have now is the same, but I sense that the reason is much more immediate- real, you could say.

What I DO sense is important, is that we need to get out of the city (especially this neighborhood, which is already falling off the edge) before whatever shit hit's the fan.

I'm not sure what I'm asking you. I suppose... is this, to your mind, truly as bad as it seems? It seems to me that things have really snowballed in obvious ways since Christmas.

And as an aside, if I thought parts of it weren't real, I got an eye opening today. I had to go to Walmart for clothes for work. I go there as seldom as possible. It's in a suburb, so the parking lot is gigantic. Even at the height of the holidays, the edges of the main parking area are empty and the outlying lots seemed to be waiting for a building to be erected on them- since there was never anyone in them.

Today, all of the lots were FULL. Completely full. At first I thought, well the economy can't be that bad. Then I remembered that Walmart is one of a few places that are making money these days and my heart sank.

Anyway, if you ever come back from one of your Shrek Schlumps and feel like answering, I'd be glad to read what you have to say.

~R

7:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home