Sunday, August 17, 2008

We plan. God laughs.

Not the weekend I had planned. Not by a mile. After a fabulous day spent at the market and the park, patting ourselves on the back for having extended our vacation for one more carefree day, I received a devastating email with the news that a close colleague and collaborator had died of a sudden and unexpected heart attack. Yes, this just a few days after my own scare.

My initial response, I'm a little ashamed to say, was to become quite drunk. Now I'm feeling tired, wrung out, confused, and anxious. In terms of my work life, this is the biggest setback I've had for over 10 years. Now to see whether I have the resilience and grit to get through it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

Well, I'm writing close on a month after this post. I've read your piece about your colleague, and I am so sorry, for so many reasons.

I can't imagine what it feels like to have a single, true connection (person) concerning something I'm rabid about, and losing them.

It's got to be a very quiet, solitary loss that no one can know.

As for your work and stress, I knew you loved your family, but never knew how strongly...

Talk about two personal goals at odds...

I wish I had an answer. All I can say is that, though you might not believe it, you are admirable in wanting and courting both.

It looks, though, as if you might have to choose. And that's not all bad.

12:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home