Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Competition, running, reading

Ok, just to assuage any continuing fears for my cardiac health -- I'm not doing competitive running. I'm a penguin. Always will be. But I do have a little book competition. There's something else out there in the works. My book releases first, so it should be ok. Fun in fact. I hope.

The running. I just went for a 2.6 mile jaunt in a merry little blizzard. I came home early from work to run, the crazy snow started up, the wind whipped around, so I said I'd only go if I could find a hat. I found a hat. Ok, I said, I'll only go if I can find a pair of gloves (two pairs lost to nasty teenage residents of my house who don't understand property law). I found a pair of gloves. So I went. While being pelted with tiny little laser beams of ice (I hadn't thought of wearing goggles) I came up with an idea worth stealing. Somewhere, there used to be a blog called 1000 beers (I think) which started when the author had the idea of counting the number of beers he "earned" in caloric content from his runs. A quick google just drew a blank but I'll look harder and if I find it I'll link. I can't drink much beer. The purines cause me to have gout attacks. For some reason, red wine purines are ok. I don't get it but I'm not complaining. So here goes. According to my little wrist GPS doohickey, I've earned 7 glasses of red wine this week (calculating on 110 calories per glass). If I can figure out how, I'll do a nice little side bar.*

The reading. Yeah, I'm reading a Ken Follett. An Oprah fucking book to boot. I don't know what's happened to me. I'm slumming it. Reading books that actually don't cause me to fall asleep in my soup. But at least it's about architecture. Or I think it is. So far, it's been about a pig. That, and a twelfth century man who has astonishing luck (both good and bad) and a rather consuming libido. I won't even tell you my second choice for a read, other than to say that it's impossible to hold up in bed without breaking your nose and it has a fair number of equations in it.

Like I said. I dunno what's happening.

But I'm going to drink a glass of wine now. Maybe two.

*sidebar done. It's amazing the efficiency.

1 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

I have 'Pillars' sitting somewhere, waiting for me to crack it open. I bought it because a little less than 30 years ago I read a book I loved by Follett and figured this one might be good, as well.

Let me know.

12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home