Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Raindrops

I've been sitting mesmerized by the trails of raindrops rolling down my office window. Can't tell you how good it feels to be above ground, surrounded by greenery, and out of my subterranean office. I'm even getting a little quality work done, and realizing that much of the slough of despond that has enveloped me lately has been caused by the letdown from the busiest four months I've had for a long time to a sudden large tract of time that really doesn't need to be regimented on a minute by minute basis. I've always had a hard time managing those transitions. How to spend your time when you've got no hard deadlines staring you in the face?

What I need to do is to blow the last two nasty workaday tasks I have left to do (one set of book revisions half done and one technical paper half done) and then unfold in the freedom of a few months of time that I can spend learning new skills, playing with new ideas, and doing lots and lots of walking in the woods.

I'm still tired after staying up half the night to see Indiana primary results. Not sure I understand why I care so much -- I guess Obama just seems to be such a ray of hope, almost Kennedy-esque. Perhaps also because a positive changing of the guard south of the border might spill over into northern climes, and help to oust our right-wing narrow-minded opinionated zealots from office. It could happen. Maybe.

Time to go feed the kids. Maybe have a beer. Or two. But definitely not three.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home